Jump to navigation Jump to search
- smallness &c adj.; littleness; tenuity; paucity; fewness; meanness, insignificance; mediocrity, moderation.
- small quantity, modicum, trace, hint, minimum; vanishing point; material point, atom, particle, molecule, corpuscle, point, speck, dot, mote, jot, iota, ace; minutiae, details; look, thought, idea, soupçon, dab, † dight, whit, tittle, shade, shadow; spark, scintilla, gleam; touch, cast; grain, scruple, granule, globule, minim, sup, sip, sop, spice, drop, droplet, sprinkling, dash, † morceau, screed, smack, tinge, tincture; inch, patch, scantling, tatter, † cantlet, flitter, † gobbet, mite, bit, morsel, crumb, seed, fritter, † shive; snip, snippet; † snick, snack, snatch, slip, † scrag; chip, chipping; shiver, sliver, driblet, clipping, paring, shaving, hair.
- nutshell; thimbleful, spoonful, handful, capful, mouthful; fragment; fraction; drop in the ocean, drop in the bucket.
- trifle; mere nothing, next to nothing; hardly anything; just enough to swear by; the shadow of a shade.
- finiteness, finite quantity.
- small, little; diminutive; minute; fine; inconsiderable, paltry; faint; slender, light, slight, scanty, scant, limited; meager; sparing; few; low, so-so, middling, tolerable, no great shakes; below par, under par, below the mark; at a low ebb; halfway; moderate, modest; tender, subtle.
- inappreciable, evanescent, infinitesimal, homeopathic, very small; atomic, corpuscular, microscopic, molecular, subatomic.
- mere, simple, sheer, stark, bare; near run.
- dull, petty, shallow, stolid, ungifted, unintelligent.
- (gradu parvo) to a small extent, on a small scale; a little bit, a wee bit; slightly &c adj.; imperceptibly; miserably, wretchedly; insufficiently; imperfectly; faintly; passably, pretty well, well enough.
- (gradu finito) partially, in part; in a certain degree, to a certain degree; to a certain extent; comparatively; some, rather in some degree, in some measure; something, somewhat; simply, only, purely, merely; at least, at the least, at most, at the most; ever so little, as little as may be, tant soit peu, in ever so small a degree; thus far, pro tanto, within bounds, in a manner, after a fashion, so to speak.
- almost, nearly, well-nigh, short of, not quite, all but; near upon, close upon; peu s’en faut, near the mark; within an ace of, within an inch of; on the brink of; scarcely, hardly, barely, only just, no more than.
- (gradu incerto) about, thereabouts, somewhere about, nearly, say; be the same, be little more or less.
- (gradu nullo) no ways, no way, no wise; not at all, not in the least, not a bit, not a bit of it, not a whit, not a jot, not a shadow; in no wise, in no respect; by no means, by no manner of means; on no account, at no hand.