Jump to navigation Jump to search
- decrease, diminution; lessening &c v.; subtraction; reduction, abatement, declension; shrinking; † coarctation; abridgment; extenuation.
- subsidence, wane, ebb, decline; ebbing; descent; decrement, reflux, depreciation; deterioration; anticlimax; mitigation.
- decrease, diminish, lessen; abridge; shrink; drop off, fall off, tail off; fall away, waste, wear; wane, ebb, decline; descend; subside; melt away, die away; retire into the shade, hide its diminished head, fall to a low ebb, run low, languish, decay, crumble.
- bate, abate, † dequantitate; discount; depreciate; extenuate, lower, weaken, attenuate, fritter away; mitigate; dwarf, throw into the shade; reduce; shorten; subtract.
- a gilded halo hovering round decay [Byron];
- fine by degrees and beautifully less [Prior].