Jump to navigation Jump to search
- compensation, equation; commutation; indemnification; compromise; neutralization, nullification; counteraction; reaction; measure for measure, retaliation, equalization; robbing Peter to pay Paul.
- set-off, offset; make-weight, casting-weight; counterpoise, ballast; indemnity, equivalent, quid pro quo; bribe, hush money; amends; counterbalance, counterclaim; cross-debt, cross-demand.
- make compensation; compensate, † compense; indemnify; counteract, countervail, counterpoise; balance; † outbalance, overbalance, counterbalance; set off; hedge, square, give and take; make up for, leeway; cover, fill up, neutralize, nullify; equalize; make good; redeem.
- in return, in consideration; but, however, yet, still, notwithstanding; nevertheless, † nathless, none the less; although, though; albeit, howbeit; † mauger; at all events, at any rate; be that as it may, for all that, even so, on the other hand, at the same time, quoad minus, quand même, however that may be; after all is said and done; taking one thing with another.
- light is mingled with the gloom (Whittier); every dark cloud has a silver lining; primo avulso non deficit alter (Vergilius); saepe creat molles aspera spina rosas (Ovidius).